Filipino Beef Bulalo Recipe (Beef Bone Marrow Soup)
Good for 6 persons
, 2-3 hours minutes cooking time
Beef Bulalo Cooking Instructions:
- Blanch bone marrow and boneless beef shank or stewing beef in hot boiling water for a while and rinse in cold running tap water to remove scum and blood.
- Place bone marrow and onion in a stockpot, pour in the 3 liters of water and bring to the boil.
- Lower heat and simmer for about 40 minutes.
- Add the boneless beef shank or stewing beef and return to the boil.
- When it boils, lower heat and simmer until beef is tender, about 1 to 1 ½ hours.
- Add the potatoes and bananas.
- Simmer until potatoes and bananas are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and stir in fish sauce, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook until cabbage is tender-crisp, about 2 minutes.
- Serve with rice.
- Beef Bulalo Ingredients:
2 kg beef bone marrow, have your butcher chop it into small pieces
1 kg boneless beef shank or stewing beef
1 onion, peeled and sliced
3 liters water
2-3 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
2-3 saba (plantain) bananas, each cut into two pieces
1 whole medium cabbage, quartered
3-4 tablespoons fish sauce (patis)
Salt and pepper to taste